FreeWheel helps the largest players in the television industry make money from their ad-supported content through a robust technology platform for ad management and monetization, a private marketplace for premium television inventory, and advisory services. FreeWheel’s solutions are used by companies like ABC, AOL, DIRECTV, ESPN, NBC Universal, Sky, Turner, and Viacom to profitably monetize their professional content on desktop, mobile, OTT, and traditional STB devices.
FreeWheel is hiring a New York-based Senior Vice President, Engineering, reporting directly to the CTO. This role will manage the New York-based engineering team, in addition to owning heavy internal and external client interaction related to all aspects of product development. This highly visible senior leadership role will help define the output of all engineering efforts in both New York and Beijing. In addition to leading the NY–based engineering team, this position will play a critical liaison role between the PM team and the Beijing-based main development team. This role will include helping to define the strategy for large, complex initiatives, and partnering with Eng/OPS senior leadership peers on project execution. In addition, this role will ensure the same organizational rigor/discipline for developing and maintaining product offerings applied to the local team.
This position is a senior member of the management team and will be a highly visible contributor to the company’s overall direction, market positioning, client relationships, and employee interactions. The incumbent will build/manage/grow the New York-based engineering team and is expected to regularly partner and collaborate with Product Management, Sales, Marketing, and Service teams, in addition to heavy internal and external client interaction.
- Drive the planning and resource allocation for the development of the defined roadmap
- Develop and build New York-based engineering team that continuously delivers solutions of the highest quality
- Be a visible technical leader who is involved in defining the technical strategy for the team and company
- Guide the team in accomplishing the roadmap, from both a product and a technical perspective
- Be the liaison between Engineering leadership teams across multiple locations
- Partner with Product Management to deliver all releases on time and with high quality
- Build the Engineering function to meet future growth
- Continuously improve processes to advance quality and throughput that are highly measurable
- Partner with all go-to-market teams including Revenue, Product Management, Marketing, and Services to successfully achieve company objectives and to support products/clients over time
- Partner with the Product Strategy team
- Participate as a functional leader in all strategic planning processes
In order to be successful, this person must thoroughly understand:
- FreeWheel’s technology, architecture, infrastructure, and service offerings and capabilities
- What it takes to build and operate multiple products at varying stages of their life cycle, with limited resources
- The coordination required with other departments including Product Management, Sales, Marketing, Services, etc.
- How to communicate effectively with clients
- How to collaborate within and outside of the Engineering team
This position will require frequent and meaningful interaction with very senior clients and prospects. Therefore, possessing the ability to quickly grasp the key elements of the online video, TV and cable business, as well as the leadership to effectively work within their organizations, is absolutely necessary for success in this role.
An ability to successfully manage a smart, diverse, and extremely ambitious team (existing and new) is critical.
This position is based in New York and will require frequent travel to the Beijing office. Fluency and experience in both Chinese and English is not required, however, highly preferred.
- Experienced engineering executive who has run a large regional engineering team. Proven innovative leader of a software engineering team in a dynamic SaaS organization
- Demonstrated ability to be a “spiritual leader” of the Engineering organization and beyond, as well as having a demonstrated ability to attract/recruit/retain external talent
- Excellent business judgment, team management, and interpersonal skills that result in the ability to work effectively and efficiently within the leadership team, as well as with a sophisticated client base and business partners
- Demonstrated ability to win the respect and trust of a highly technical team and communicate in technical languages
- Stays abreast of and is well-versed in popular technical trends
- Demonstrated ability to represent company with clients and across the industry
- Master’s degree in Software Engineering, EE or comparable advanced degree is preferred
- Proactive business “owner” with a focus on getting the job done
- Superb verbal and written communication skills and a demonstrated ability to collaborate with others to achieve productive results
Life is short. Work someplace great.
FreeWheel offers a dynamic, flexible work environment with competitive salary and benefits packages. The challenges we solve are serious, but we’re not. We have fun everyday because we love what we do. We are on a mission to shape the future of television and this is your chance to be part of it. Want to join the team that’s already thinking about what TV is going to look like five years from now? Apply here!