VP of Engineering, Customer Tech
Looking for a job to get you out of bed?
Casper is looking for a VP of Engineering to lead our customer-facing technology group, based in our NYC headquarters. You will lead the customer-facing web tech of casper.com, and the tools that support driving eCommerce growth and customer life-time value. On the back-end side, you will put powerful tools (CMS, Product Information Management, Martech stack, etc.) in the hands of savvy business partners, to enable data-informed decision-making and streamline the functioning of a high-tempo e-commerce operation.. This position reports to the Chief Technology Officer, and primary stakeholders are the VP of e-commerce and the Chief Marketing Officer.
Casper (casper.com) is a global sleep company that is transforming the way the world sleeps.
Casper has become one of the most beloved consumer brands of all time, quickly striking a chord with consumers in a category that was stagnant for decades. We have a full portfolio of obsessively engineered sleep products—including mattresses, pillows, bedding, and furniture—all developed in-house by our award-winning R&D team at Casper Labs in San Francisco. In addition to our global e-commerce business, Casper owns and operates dozens of Sleep Shops across North America and its products are available at retailers including Target and Hudson’s Bay.
We are deeply committed to building a diverse and inclusive workforce so that we represent all those who dream big equally.
When you’re not catching zzz’s, this is what you’ll do
- Develop the customer tech strategy and roadmap to deliver on Casper’s strategic goals; lead the quarterly planning process for the group, in collaboration with the Digital Product team. Lead the Customer Tech teams, including: Site Experience (.com), Marketing technology, Connected products (for example, the mobile app for the Glow light), Data, with a focus on customer data, may fall under the scope of this position
- Partner with senior cross-functional stakeholders, including the VP of eCommerce and the Chief Marketing Officer, to ensure tech enablement for the Marketing organization and to achieve Casper’s strategic commercial objectives.
- Partner with Marketing and eCommerce to create, evaluate, and execute on opportunities to continuously evolve and develop the way we connect with our customers through Casper.com. Examples can be very large or very small, for instance:
- Do we have reason to believe, at a given moment, that a full-on redesign is warranted? (Large!) i.e. Can we eke out a click-through improvement between reasonably high-performing steps in the funnel, that will help us right now? (Small, but those things add up!)
- Partner with the marketing team leads to streamline tools and processes to optimize how we leverage third party vendors and home-grown tools to achieve our goals, typically in the broad domains of new customer acquisition, retention, repeat behavior optimization, etc.
- As a top-level leader within the tech organization, you will be looking for opportunities to sharpen Casper’s omnichannel business capabilities, with your colleagues on the Retail, Customer Service, and Wholesale tech sides. For example:
- Is lead management functioning at peak?
- When wholesale customers make themselves known to us, are we making sure we can serve their needs to the best of our abilities?
- As a manager of managers, provide leadership, direction, and mentoring to direct reports and the broader Customer Tech team in an agile environment
- Partner with the People Team to build a diverse pipeline of engineers and people managers to serve Casper’s future talent needs
- Supervise ongoing architecture evolution in a modern internet setup (React-based front end, JAMStack).
- Ensure that page speed KPIs and other customer-experience metrics are designed properly and are being used to measure and govern tech work in a way that makes sense for the business.
Our dream candidate has…
- Our ideal candidate will possess upwards of 12 years relevant experience, including technical and leadership experience
- Knowledge of AWS-based infrastructure supporting a modern web application with CI/CD, chat ops, etc.
- Knowledge of Martech, CRM and CLV tools.
- Knowledge of segmentation and personalization tools and techniques
- Experience as a manager of managers.
- Savvy in navigating a complex stakeholder map and experience effectively managing multiple senior stakeholders
- Experience with omnichannel retail.
- A bachelor’s degree in a STEM field.
- Experience with strategy and roadmapping.
- Here’s the stack. Ability to direct work in this world is important, but meaningful experience with any single one of these is not a deal maker or breaker:
- A commerce engine ( knowledge of the space including Salesforce Commerce Cloud, Shopify, Magento, open source RoR or PHP-based engines, is relevant)
- Salesforce Service and Marketing Clouds, SimonData, and Mulesoft
- Optimizely for A/B testing and multi-armed bandits
- AWS, including Redshift
The syrup on your waffles
- A full gifted bed set when you join (mattress, sheets, pillows, the works)! Salary to pay your bills, a potential bonus for some splurging, and equity so that you’re part of the Casper family.
- Medical, vision, and dental insurance to help you with those coughs or cavities (too many waffles…).
- 401K program so you have some savings for later in life.
- Extra cash incentives for being healthy and fit (we actually give you money to track your sleep!).
- Unlimited vacation policy. If you need time off just take it; we trust you! And Summer Fridays.
- Paid 5 week sabbatical after you have been with the Casper family 5 years.
- Generous Parental Leave.
- Bi-weekly catered lunches to catch up with your teammates.
- Free snacks and coffee, including a huge breakfast selection (10 types of cereal anyone?)