Magnet Agency has been exclusively retained by Gust in its search for a CTO.
Gust, the global platform for the early stage investment community, is looking for a Chief Technology Officer (CTO) to assure the successful operational and technical execution of the company’s business mission through the development and deployment of internet, mobile and data products and the company’s web presence. You will report to the President of Gust, be a member of the senior management team, and work closely with Gust’s CEO, Vice President of Product Management, and other senior management team members.
The right candidate will have an advanced technical degree with at least a total of seven to ten years of combined senior development and management experience (four to seven of which in a test driven based Ruby on Rails environment). In this role you will be responsible for embracing our development approach, strengthening and leading the team to improve its process, velocity and capabilities to meet aggressive development targets with high quality work. As this role will require you to further build the development team, you will need to have previous responsibilities in hiring, mentoring and managing teams as well as team organizational design. It is expected that the CTO will have tremendous problem solving, interpersonal, communication and work habit skills.
- Setting and managing Gust’s aggressive overall technology development targets
- Making recommendations and proposing solutions in a fast-paced market and development environment
- Developing product and functionality quickly and in a high-quality manner
- Ensuring that the proper technical approach is taken organization against all feature development
- Providing leadership and management of the technical team
- Mentoring and development of the technology team
- Deep partnership with Product to create a collaborative, creative and fun work environment for a jointly coordinated design and development team
Desired Skills & Experience
- Substantial experience as a senior manager (CTO/VP) running a fast paced environment industry leading product coding methods and execution.
- A keen desire to be the best in the market with industry leading approaches and solutions.
- A very strong work ethic combined with great leadership and management skills.
- The ability to work in a close and supportive team environment and to work collaboratively with other members of senior management and the overall team.
- Demonstrated ability to envision online/mobile services that meet consumer needs
- 3-5+ years experience with startup companies.
- Hands-on experience coding in Ruby on Rails.
- Familiar with more than one software development methodology.
- Ability to discern user requirements and jointly develop specification with the product team.
- Has contributed to one or more open source projects.
- Familiarity with technical requirements of Internet marketing and search engine optimization.
- Familiarity with information security vulnerabilities and risk management.
- Familiarity with consumer privacy and payments industry compliance requirements.
- Exposure to business theory, business process development, governance processes, management, budgeting, and administrative operations.
Gust’s Technology Stack:
Deep understanding and proven leadership in as many of the following technologies in addition to Ruby on Rails in Test Driven Development a plus: Heroku, Postgres, PG Backups, PandaStream, SendGrid, Websolr, Twitter Bootstrap framework, Google Place API, LinkedIn API, Mapbox, Cucumber, Rspec, Jasmine, Airbrake, New Relic
Gust is the global platform for the sourcing and management of early-stage investments. We enable skilled entrepreneurs to collaborate with the smartest investors by virtually supporting all aspects of the investment relationship, from initial pitch to successful exit.
- Powering over 1,000 investment groups in 65 countries
- Enabling more than 160,000 start-ups to present their company
- Providing 40,000 individual accredited investors the ability to search for investments
- Located in New York with a European office in Paris, France
- Funded over 1,800 startups in the last 12 months
We are a smart group of 25+ employees located in the heart of New York’s Silicon Alley. In our office, you’ll find an open layout of people that are energetic, move quickly, speak 10 languages, and collaborate incessantly. Breakfast on Mondays, lunch on Wednesdays, Company happy hours, and full-day outings are weaved into our social fabric.
We have fun, but are serious about providing the best experience for our users. We recently won the 2012 SIIA CODiE Award for Best Collaboration / Social Networking Solution. Gust was also awarded the 2012 SWIFT Innotribe Most Innovative Financial Technology Company in North America and in 2011, Breakthrough Angel Product of the Year by EBAN (the European Business Angel Network association). Our goals are clear, our ambitions are high, and our team is stacked.