Select Equity Group was founded in 1990 on the premise that rigorous fundamental research and disciplined investing will generate superior investment returns. Today, the Firm has approximately $20 billion in assets in multiple strategies that share a team-based approach and a centralized research effort. Our global client base includes high-net-worth individuals, multi-family offices, endowments, foundations, private banks, insurance companies and public and corporate pensions. The Firm is employee owned and has been located at 380 Lafayette Street in lower Manhattan since the early 1990s.
Our Culture: We have more than 100 employees who all share a commitment to our Core Principles (below).
Reporting to the Chief Compliance Officer (the “CCO”) and working closely with the General Counsel and the entire Legal and Compliance team, the Director of Compliance is primarily responsible for monitoring of and training employees on the compliance program at Select Equity Group, L.P. (“SEG”). He/She is focused on enhancing the monitoring of all aspects of our compliance program, including but not limited to daily review of all flagged e-communications, investigating reported compliance issues to their resolution, updating and monitoring risk matrices as well as performing regular back testing on the Firm’s trading activity for compliance with our Code of Conduct and Regulatory Compliance Manual. Additionally, the Director of Compliance will focus on enhancing our compliance training program by performing focused onboarding training, arranging for follow up one-on–one training as needed, team-focused training on specific policies, as well as managing the annual training schedule. He/She works closely with all areas of SEG’s front, middle and back offices including trading, portfolio management, internal audit, operations and research personnel, and also interacts regularly with external parties, including regulatory authorities, prospects, clients, auditors, custodians and administrators.
In addition to tasks delegated by the CCO from time to time, the Director of Compliance will be responsible for the following:
- Monitoring existing compliance controls, with a focus on trading and portfolio management activities but also including operations, finance and research teams’ activities
- Devising new controls and reports where required
- Conducting compliance interviews with and training new employees
- Preparing and administering Compliance Education Seminars with all employees
- Responding to daily compliance-related inquiries and reported issues from all departments
- Monitoring Firm and employee conflicts of interest
- Assisting Client Development team with compliance related matters including review of client and prospective investor communications, reports and other materials.
- Maintaining compliance logs, monitoring applications, and back testing results
- Managing daily pre-trade and post-trade breaches in our compliance system, LDC (LineData Compliance), and coordinating coverage with Legal and Compliance team
- Assisting with preparation and filing of amendments to Form ADV Parts 1&2
- Assisting with preparation for Annual Compliance Reviews conducted by the Firm’s independent examiner
- Assisting with preparation of federal, state and foreign regulatory reports
- Assisting with preparation of annual 206(4)-7 review report
- Providing back up coverage for Legal and Compliance team members as assigned and needed
- 5-7 years relevant experience with a Registered Investment Adviser
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Highest degree of integrity, professionalism and confidentiality
- Experience with Regulators is preferred as is having an enterprise view of compliance
- Bachelor’s degree is required
- Fit with Select Equity’s Core Principles (below)
- Originality: We generate our own ideas and never deploy common practice without skepticism. We strive to avoid the herd.
- Innate Curiosity: There are no dumb questions. We challenge universally accepted beliefs and seek new angles of understanding.
- Charity: We recognize our good fortune and give back to society in meaningful and thoughtful ways.
- Continuous Improvement: We always strive to improve our performance and measure ourselves absolutely, not relatively.
- Humility: We seek no acclaim individually or as a Firm other than earning the gratitude of our clients.
- Teamwork: We trust our colleagues and communicate with transparency and respect. Ours is a culture of giving credit, not seeking credit.