Hardware/Software Architect – Smart Home
WeWork is the fastest-growing collaborative workspace community in the world – we are the community for creators. We transform buildings into beautiful, collaborative workspaces and provide infrastructure, services, events and technology so our members can focus on doing what they love. We currently have 19 locations in six cities in the US with 11,500 members, and growing fast domestically and internationally.
We are taking what we’ve learned from WeWork to the next level and applying it to a new residential concept – it’s living in a more social, more mobile and connected way, leveraging technology to enhance member experience. Imagine a state-of-the-art turnkey living space that you can interact with and control through custom apps on your mobile device. That’s where you come in.
WeWork is seeking a highly creative, hands-on Hardware/Software Architect – Smart Home to spearhead the conceptualization, design, development, and deployment of software and hardware systems for this new residential concept. This leader will source and manage 3rd party technology vendors and also serve as the integration layer between them. Reporting to the Head of Innovation, the principal responsibility of a Hardware/Software Architect – Smart Home is to creatively apply the right technologies in the development of new and beautiful digital experiences.
- Quickly prototyping and developing consumer-facing physical technology products and services that will work on a variety of devices
- Ability to effectively communicate ideas to peers and distributed teams
- Delivering products with top notch quality in a fast paced enterprise environment
- Contributing towards building a system with a test driven development / agile approach
- Provide technical insight to the business development staff when needed
Desired Skills & Experience
- 5+ years of engineering experience working on hardware/software integration
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability and experience building technology to scale
- Should be able to show past examples of Smart Home projects
- Experience with a creative coding framework (Cinder, OpenFrameworks, or PolyCode)
- Proficiency in C, C++, or Objective-C
- An understanding of digital communication protocols
- Working knowledge of open Internet standards and protocols (ARP, IP, UDP, TCP, mDNS-SD, DHCP, HTTP, etc.)
- Experience writing API’s and hardware integration code
- Audio/Video and streaming protocols experience
- Comfortable working on Linux based systems
- Exposure to low power wireless technologies (IEEE 802.15.4, ZigBee, 6LowPAN, Bluetooth/Bluetooth Smart/Bluetooth Low Energy, etc.)
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in Engineering, Computer Science, or Technology