- Reporting directly to the CEO, the Chief of Staff will ensure that the organization as a whole, and each individual, is focused, effective and fulfilled–thereby establishing the infrastructure (people & processes) necessary to support the Company’s long-term goals.
- 3-7 years of strategy and operations experience at a leading E-Commerce or B2C Consumer Internet platform or management consulting experience in the same vertical.
- Company, team, and individual priorities are clear and aligned. All team members can clearly articulate key components of the company’s strategy.
- Strategic goals have clear execution plans. Company resources are focused to maximize impact.
- Progress towards goals is transparent and discussed regularly. Obstacles to progress are quickly uncovered and addressed. Clear KPIs and reporting are established and transparent.
- All team members are fulfilled personally and professionally. Talent is leveraged cross-functionally and development and growth opportunities are prioritized.
- Communication rhythm is well established and information moves through the organization quickly and accurately.
- The executive team is highly effective–unburdened by daily operating responsibilities and focused on medium/long term goals and developing ‘junior’ leaders within the company.
- Every facet of the organization has a person assigned with accountability that goals are met.
- Ongoing employee input is collected and utilized to identify opportunities and obstacles.
- Core values and purpose are ‘alive’ in the organization. More than words on a page, they are internalized throughout the organization and key decisions and recognition are tied to these values and purpose.
- Decision making processes are well informed, transparent and timely.
- “Functional Operations” teams are performing at the highest caliber.
- Partner with the executive team, team leads and individuals to create and track clear KPIs and goals for individuals, teams and the company as a whole.
- Improve executive team prioritization by taking the constant stream of ideas and priorities and forming coherent narratives that drive decision making.
- Create roadmaps for achieving long term goals and key initiatives and ensure alignment and buy-in across the company.
- Collect and clearly present all relevant input and data necessary to make decisions. Advise on downstream and cross functional impacts.
- Ensure the CEO’s vision is well articulated internally by developing compelling presentations and written material — and being available to discuss with individuals and teams when the CEO is not available to do so.
- Create agendas, identify and communicate meeting next-steps, hold executive team accountable to decisions, follow-ups and tasks.
- Establish and facilitate meeting cadence and communication processes to ensure effective flow of information and decisions.
- Lead projects to streamline and improve cross-functional processes.
- Implement processes to collect and communicate ideas and feedback from across the company.
- Identify and address resource and prioritization conflicts between teams.
- Act as a project manager for the CEO for cross functional initiatives that don’t have a clear single owner.
- Have a 360-degree view of the organization and strong relationships to be able to help drive cross-functional initiatives and organizational change forward.
- Work with individuals and teams to build career development/pathing frameworks.
- Create opportunities for cross functional work/exposure to provide professional development while addressing real business needs.
- Facilitate learning opportunities, management training, etc.
- Implement best practices for hiring and onboarding.
- Work with team leads and CFO to map out hiring/resource plans and budgets.
- Implement processes for providing 360 feedback as part of performance reviews — help build a “feedback culture” where learning and improvement are prized.
- Implement processes to ensure great work is recognized and team members feel a sense of ownership for their work.
- Implement and analyze team surveys to identify areas for cultural improvement.
- Identify and propose solutions for organizational sticking points. Be proactive in anticipating organizational problems before they come up.
- Monitor and evolve organizational design to maximize focus/accountability, effectiveness and personal/professional fulfillment.
- Provide direct coaching and other formal training to help develop leadership and management competencies throughout the organization (with specific focus on ‘middle’ management tier).
- Identify under-utilized talent and resources across the company and work with team leads to resolve.
- Be our Listener-in-Chief; an empathetic and solution oriented ear for our whole team.