This prestigious Asset Management Firm was founded in 1990 on the premise that rigorous fundamental research and disciplined investing will generate superior investment returns. Today, the Firm has approximately $25 billion in assets in multiple strategies that share a team-based approach and a centralized research effort.
Their global client base includes high-net-worth individuals, multi-family offices, endowments, foundations, private banks, insurance companies and public and corporate pensions. The Firm is employee owned and has been located in lower Manhattan since the early 1990s.
Culture: More than 140 employees who all share a commitment to our Core Principles (below).
POSITION DESCRIPTION: Reporting to the General Counsel and working closely with the Associate General Counsel and the entire Legal and Compliance team, the Assistant General Counsel is primarily responsible for providing legal support to SEG’s Research and Trading teams.
She/He is focused on implementing and enhancing their compliance program and controls with respect to investment research, trading, anti-money laundering and, as necessary, private equity investments and affiliated foundations, including daily review of field research, monitoring of field research and management calls, responding to reports of potential receipt of inside information/MNPI, analyzing back-tested trading activity, vetting and onboarding third party research providers and conducting focused training sessions.
In addition, she/he will provide legal support to all areas of front, middle and back offices including trading, portfolio management, internal audit, operations and research personnel, and also interact regularly with external parties, including regulatory authorities, outside counsel, auditors, custodians and administrators.
In addition to tasks delegated by the General Counsel and Associate General Counsel from time to time, the Assistant General Counsel will be responsible for the following:
• Reviewing internal field research reports for MNPI and compliance
• Monitoring of field research and management calls
• Reviewing and preapproving paid research calls and gifts to sources
• Responding to daily inquiries from internal parties concerning research policies and procedures
• Responding to reported issues concerning MNPI, fraud, AML or other legal risks
• Preparing appropriate documentation of legal actions and decisions
• Conducting due diligence of data vendors and negotiating service agreements
• Preparing NDAs and reviewing all manner of vendor contracts
• Assisting with updating compliance policies, procedures and controls
• Conducting onboarding interviews with and training new employees
• Assisting with monitoring Firm and employee conflicts of interest
• Maintaining research approval and trade restriction logs
• Assisting with auditing of field research compliance
• Assisting with preparation for annual compliance reviews conducted by the Firm’s independent examiner
• Assisting with preparation of federal, state and foreign regulatory reports
• Assisting with preparation of annual 206(4)-7 review report
• Providing back up coverage for Legal and Compliance team members as assigned and needed
5+ years of relevant legal experience, preferably with a registered investment adviser
• Ideal candidate will have experience reviewing software licensing and data vendor agreements
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Highest degree of integrity, professionalism and confidentiality
• Experience interacting with regulators and enforcement authorities is preferred
• Juris Doctor degree and license to practice law in New York State is required
• Fit with Core Principles (below) CORE PRINCIPLES:
• Originality: We generate our own ideas and never deploy common practice without skepticism. We strive to avoid the herd.
• Innate Curiosity: There are no dumb questions. We challenge universally accepted beliefs and seek new angles of understanding.
• Charity: We recognize our good fortune and give back to society in meaningful and thoughtful ways.
• Continuous Improvement: We always strive to improve our performance and measure ourselves absolutely, not relatively.
• Humility: We seek no acclaim individually or as a Firm other than earning the gratitude of our clients.
• Teamwork: We trust our colleagues and communicate with transparency and respect. Ours is a culture of giving credit, not seeking credit.